Saturday, March 21, 2009

Irepress - Samus Octology (2007)

This one goes out to Kenny, wherever he may be. For those of you who aren't too sure who Kenny is, check out the shoutbox thing. He suggested this band to me a while ago and I couldn't be more pleased. This band incorporates so many elements so well and with such consistency. They have the chuggy, badass breakdowns you would expect from a 'post-metal' kind of outfit but they always offset that feeling with some kind of higher pitched 'post-rock' guitar frenzy, making it feel floatier and more ethereal. For me, as a bassist, the relationship between the bassist and the drummer in these songs is probably my favorite aspect. You can really feel them connecting amidst the murky, perplexing time signature breakdowns with every bass drum hit. Their chemistry is baffling and really keeps me in the music. Everything else is almost equally exquisite and between all of the post rock and metal flavors with an added hint of prog, it's definitely a genre-bender worth checking out ASAP.

1. Pah No
2. Samus
3. Pistole
4. Snayk's Tale
5. June Ipper
6. Fiddler, Yee Riding
7. A Frid Ohm/B. Martin Eeek
8. Nonografistole Addendum (Trampled To Death By Love)

Samus Octology

2 comments:

blend77 said...

hey, awesome fucking record. they are going to be playing with Junius soon who kill it live. I cant wait to see Irepress though.

this is a great blog. i found you looking for info for the toe rgbdvd. my friend just gave it to me and im watching it right this second. its so amazing.

InstanthumanJustaddcoffee said...

oh shit, youre the face-punching guy? your blog is rad. thanks for the words of praise and im glad youre enjoying the DVD, its my favorite thing ever. i really wish i could go to the junius, moving mountains and irepress show tomorrow at webster hall or wherever it is...goddamnit
oh well, consider yourself added to my blogroll